17 Oct List of changes to CPCU 540 in 2023
The Institutes has released an updated version of the CPCU 540 course titled “Contributing to Insurer Financial Performance” for exams starting on October 15, 2023.
Only a small amount of the course content for the updated CPCU 540 course is brand new. Most of the course pulls from content in the previous CPCU 540 course. Below is a list of the topics in the updated CPCU 540 course and how they correspond to the expired CPCU 540 course. (Objectives from 2020 course in parentheses)
Note: We do not provide any warranties or guarantees concerning the comprehensiveness and accuracy of this list.
CPCU 540: Contributing to Insurer Financial Performance
Module 1: Developing a Holistic View of Insurer Finances
- Solving Problems With Insurer Financial Analysis (NEW)
- Factors That Determine an Insurer’s Financial Health (NEW)
- How Underwriting Contributes to Insurer Finances (NEW)
- How the Claims Function Contributes to Insurer Finances (NEW)
- Insurer Finance Department Strategies (Half NEW; Half Mod. 1 – Obj. 2)
Module 2: Identifying Key Financial Measures
- A Guide to Insurer Performance Ratios (Mod. 5 – Obj. 1)
- A Guide to Insurer Performance Ratings (Mod. 5 – Obj. 3 & 4)
- A Guide to Monetary Calculations (All of previous Module 6)
Module 3: Interpreting Insurer Financial Statements
- GAAP and SAP Basics (Mod. 1 – Obj. 3,4; Mod. 4 – Obj 1,2)
- The Insurer Balance Sheet (Mod. 2 – Obj. 1)
- The Insurer Income Statement (Mod. 2 – Obj. 2)
- Statement of Changes in Shareholders’ Equity and Statement of Cash Flows (Mod. 2 – Obj. 3)
- Components of the NAIC Annual Statement (Mod. 2 – Obj. 4; Mod. 4 – Obj 3)
Module 4: Analyzing Key Ratio Results
- Premium-to-Surplus Ratio (Mod. 5 – Obj. 1)
- Reserves-to-Surplus Ratio (Mod. 5 – Obj. 1)
- Liquidity Ratio (Mod. 5 – Obj. 2)
- Profitability Ratios (Mod. 5 – Obj. 2)
- External Evaluations of Insurer Financial Strength (Mod. 5 – Obj. 3,4)
Module 5: Assessing Investment Opportunities
- Insurer Investment Portfolio Basics (Mod. 8 – Obj. 1,2,3 & Mod. 9 – Obj. 4)
- Understanding the Market for Stocks and Bonds (Mod. 8 – Obj. 2,4,5)
- Investment Evaluation Strategies (Mod. 9 – Obj. 1)
- Bond Valuation (Mod. 9 – Obj. 3)
- Investment Portfolio Management Strategies (Mod. 9 – Obj. 2)
Module 6: Strategically Managing Capital
- Internal Capital Sources (Mod. 10 – Obj. 1)
- External Capital Sources(Mod. 10 – Obj. 2)
- Risk-Based Capital Requirements (Mod. 11 – Obj. 2)
- The NAIC Risk Management and Own Risk and Solvency Assessment (Mod. 11 – Obj. 3)
Old CPCU 540 Modules completely removed: Module 3 and Module 7.
As the above list illustrates, the vast majority of the topics covered in the 2023 CPCU 540 course were pulled from the 2020 540 course. And while the existing BDU study materials for CPCU 540 no longer follow the same order as the updated course materials, they will still prepare you well for the updated CPCU 540 exam. Just be sure to study the new Chapter 1 from The Institute’s textbook, and be advised that you can skip over the old Modules 3 and 7.
BigDaddy U is working on updating our CPCU 540 study materials to match the content of the new CPCU 540 course. We always provide updates to our materials to at no additional cost, so if you’ve previously purchased our CPCU 540 study materials, the new study materials will be updated on your account as soon as they’re available. We don’t have a precise estimate on when the updated CPCU 540 study materials will be ready, but we’re hoping to have them done by the end of 2023.
CPCU® and AICTM are trademarks of the American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, d/b/a The Institutes. BigDaddy U is not affiliated or associated with The Institutes in any way, and The Institutes do not endorse, approve, support, or otherwise recognize BigDaddy U or its products or services.